Monday, February 20, 2006

Uh... my nut fell out.

filed under:

Well, more like slipped out.

I was playing guitar today and noticed that my low E string was a little closer to the edge of the neck than I remembered. Sure enough the glue joint had failed and it had slipped in it's notch. It's an easy fix, in fact all I'm doing now is waiting for the glue to dry. The hard part is making sure that both sides of the nut are equally flush after clamping.

It's probably been loose for a while and my sustain and tone should improve.

Speaking of tone, this weekend I went by Atex Electronics and picked up a 1458 dual op amp chip. W00t!!! Sounds like fun, huh? Well my DOD OD 250 has a 4558 dual op amp chip in it, the vintage 250s had a 741 single op amp chip in them. Keeping up? Ok, the 1458 is essentially a dual op version of the 741 so replacing the 4558 with the 1458 makes it sound like the original design.

This is actually a pretty cool thing for 2 reasons. Numero uno is now I can set my amp's eq for a good clean sound now as opposed to just setting the eq to make the OD 250 sound good. IOW, now both clean and OD 250 sounds sound good. It also makes the effect sound more vintage-closer to the sound I hear in my head. The second reason is that I was able to throw the 4558 in my Tubescreamer clone and replace the crappy one I had in there.

EXCITING!!!

Yeah, well just be glad I didn't load the post down with pics of naked chips.

5 comments:

Richard said...

I understood none of that other than I think you have a screw loose, or something like that. Sorry about the lack of take off for your band, have you considered joining your son's band? They seem to be coming together.

LisaPal said...

Hmmm. My nut cracked in two and fell out during our last month in Virginia. It cracked right in the D-string's groove. Except it was the nut on my bass and a little super-glue did the trick. It's been a while since we've had synchronicity and even though we're a month off, I say it counts! (This was my first nut problem ever.)

pi22seven said...

I'll take any synchronicity I can get!

I don't think I could ever be in a band with my son. Jamming is cool, but I get VERY passionate about my music.

The screw is not loose but lost.

Jonathan said...

Do you have the specs on the jumper you have to put on the 741 when you change it in the malmsteen? the 1458's that i have are about 1/3 the size of the other chips. Thanks

pi22seven said...

I don't know what to jumper to get a 741 to work in place of a 4558.

Are you sure you have 1458s?

Leave your email here and I can help you a little more directly away from my blog. :)