Sunday, November 26, 2006

One man's trash...

A couple of weeks ago the boy and I came back empty handed from a gear quest. Not that we have any money to actually buy gear, but the hunt is fun.

As we pulled up closer to our driveway I noticed that our neighbor had put a small guitar amp to the curb for trash collection.

The boy grabbed the amp and brought it in to the house for inspection. It turned out to be a DOD Grind IT practice amp. At first look the amp didn't seem to be in bad condition. The terminals on the speaker were missing, just broken off. The wires connecting the amp to the speaker were just twisted together. Also the clean/dirty switch was broken and unable to latch to dirty. Other than that the amp was dirty but in good physical condition.

After attaching a speaker terminal and soldering the leads from the speaker coil to the terminal I powered it up. The sound was pretty lame; as in very bad indeed.

Since I don't need another amp I gave it to the boy to use as a very terrible/experimental keyboard amplifier.

So I guess the moral of this story is "One man's trash is another man's".

EDIT / UPDATE:

So the amp sounds cool with some effect and a crappy keyboard going through it!

Also, I offered the amp back to the neighbors and they didn't want it.

5 comments:

Elliot said...

Lo-fi is very hip these days.

pi22seven said...

Lo-fi is indeed very hip.

It sounds great with a Rhodes style patch going through a phase shifter then the distorted channel of the amp!

R and/or R!!!

Richard said...

looks like a very cool score -- free is always good.

Sorry I haven't commented much lately - I have been around just been slammed busy between 40+ hour work, grad school ... oh and family.

pi22seven said...

Richard, if you keep up with the ephemera that's all I need!

You ROCK!

Richard said...

aaawww shucks.