Wednesday, March 09, 2005

CRASH, BOOM, BANG PT 2!

I hate auto accidents.

In fact, since I dinged up the Vista-cruiser a couple of months back I've taken a very anti-accident stance. I've always been a defensive driver, but even more so after the "incident".

All was well until last Saturday.

On the way to go grab a couple of burgers for Josh and myself, I got in an accident in the xB. I pulled up to a red light about 5 feet behind a pick-up with a trailer, looked around and tried to find a good song on the radio.

Something caught my eye and I looked up to see the trailer ahead coming my way.

At first I slammed on my brakes because it looked like I was rolling forward. When I figured out that I wasn't the one moving I jammed the stick in to reverse and almost nailed the gas. When I looked in the mirror there was a line of cars about 10 feet behind me coming my way.

All I could do was stay put and take the hit as I laid in to my horn.

It was a hard tap, but when I realized I couldn't go in reverse I put the car in neutral to decrease the damage.

The guy stopped after I was pushed back about 2 feet. The cars behind me went around and didn't even ask if I needed help ( sometimes I really hate people). We got out, made sure no one was hurt and exchanged info, called the police who showed up after about 30 minutes.

The trailer guy admitted fault and his insurance is paying for everything so things are cool.

Except I'm just a little pissed at fate. We've only made 2 payments on the xB and it just sucks that it's not "like new" anymore.

But I shouldn't complain. Nobody was hurt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You probably remember my crash story from a while back, so you know I'm feeling you, man. It'd be one thing to get into an accident where you're at least partially at fault, but it's positively infuriating to have it happen to you through no fault of your own. And to almost - but not quite - be able to prevent it anyway makes it even worse.

BOOO!

-thin