Tuesday, June 15, 2004

you want what? (loooong)

Okay, here's how it went down.

The Client showed up with (follow along here) Mr. Big, Ms. Big and Mr. Not-so-big.

The Client shows up before any of the others and says that Mr. Big just wants to look at some helicopter shots of their resort and sit in on the edit of the spots we were going to edit. The client remembers that she has some music for the spots we're gonna edit in her car, so she runs out to the parking lot to get the CDs.

On the way out she runs into Mr. Not-so-big, they stand outside the station chatting up about who knows what. I run by my office to collect some PR shit that I want to return to the client so her people won't bug me for it later.

I go by the lobby and she and Mr. Not-so-big are still chatting it up so I go back to the edit suite and drop the PR stuff off, then head to the coffee kiosk that keeps me caffed up for free.

I take the long way back to the lobby and before I get there I hear the client's laughter and some other voices I don't know. The receptionist had buzzed her through without me and was just gonna let them wander the halls. I wouldn't give a crap but the Director of Engineering is on a security spazz and reemed me for the very fucking same thing a week before when the receptionist buzzed the client through.

The client has everybody there: Mr. Big, Ms. Big and Mr. Not-so-big. I introduce myself and meet Ms. Big, then re-meet Mr. Big. Mr. Not-so-big and I have met before and he just smiles. Usually he's the big guy but Mr. Big's appearance makes him smaller.

Mr. Big looks at the big pictures of my station's news anchors that line the halls like he's never seen pictures that big in his life. This guy's a high roller and he goes gaga over airbrushed pics of 4- something women when he could buy really hot wanna-bes? Okay.

So we get back to the edit suite. Usually I offer coffee or something to kiss ass, but I'm still pissed at them for postponing so much. I want to get done.

"Let's look at the helicopter shots so (Mr. Big) can see them." Sure, okay.

I put their Beta in the VTR, roll the tape in fastforward scanning for floaty chopper shots. I have never seen the tape but it appears to be a show taped for a local cable show. The show was a pay for show showcasing local businesses that didn't mind paying for exposure. Viewer of course never know that what they are watching is essentially PAID PROGRAMMING acting like a real show.

So I find exactly 2 chopper shots. Ms. Big doesn't like one of the shots because it was shot after a big rain storm so the sand traps are more like ponds, but she's "Cool with the other shot". Mr Big doesn't like the other shot because. That's it. Just because.

So Mr. Big starts talking about how "We're gonna need more chopper shots". Uhm, okay.

"Yeah, more chopper shots and new shots of the condos. We need that stuff for the Promotional DVDs".

The what? I look at The Client. Her eyes make that "you know" look.

Then it clicks. she's told them a bunch of bullshit I don't know about. Okay, I get it now. I'm supposed to act like I've known all along so she doesn't look like an ass.

Yeah, well I'm stilled pissed that you jerked me around for 2 days. I don't wanna play.

"Oooohhhh, Promotional DVDs for the resort. Yeah, this is the first time I've heard about this". Mr. Big looks at her then explains what he wants.

"You're going to working on a Promotional DVD for us that'll be 7 minutes long and..." At this point I just let him talk because I really didn't care what he was saying at this point. All I'm thinking is that I was supposed to be editing a couple of spots, not doing pre-planning fro a long format project.

"Well, I'm gonna have to check with my boss for pricing for the shooting and editing of your promo video; as far as the whole DVD thing goes, we really don't offer that as a service but I'll see what we can do". Translation: "Sure we'll take your money, but I'm gonna have to sub out the DVD thing and double charge you".

So we finally move on to the edit we're supposed to be working on. I'm almost done but they announce that they have a meeting to go to. Yeah, okay. But I tell The Client that she needs to come back after the meeting and approve the spot after the render.

So after they leave I finish the spot. Around 5-ish I gave her a call to have approve the spots. Her phone was off. Called her 10 minutes later. Off.

Finally I get her on the phone, but she can't come to the station cuz she's at home getting ready for her vacation. "But I trust you so just make copies for the other stations, and I'll see you when I get back".

Yeah, TTFN.

We'll see if this bites me in the ass later.

No comments: