Wednesday, April 20, 2005

One down, two to go.

It's Fiesta time here in San Antonio.

It's our excuse to descend on downtown and drink too much beer and eat food off a stick to celebrate who knows what for 10 days.

The Fiesta "event" become so huge that it needs not one... not two... but three parades to truly celebrate the meaning of Fiesta, which is as stated before "drinking beer and eating food off a a stick".

Fiesta is also my busiest time of year at work. My station is the station that broadcasts these parades for the poor sods at home to watch and I am the lucky bastard who gets to produce all three parades.

Yay me.

It means that I have to get all the information for about 400 parade entries (floats, bands, balloons, etc.) and distill it into something resembling organized chaos, then write scripts for the hosts to read. I also have to make sure all music and graphics are made for the shows, then get them to the TV truck. Then on the day of, I have to fix all the last minute changes. All without so much as an intern to help.

But the worst part is that my wife's b-day lands during Fiesta so her party has a 3 in 7 chance of being re-scheduled.

Our first parade was Monday night and the next 2 happen on Friday and Saturday.

I'll end up with about 20 hours overtime but it hardly seems worth it.

I am so looking forward to Sunday.

1 comment:

LisaPal said...

Brother, I feel your pain! We're going through our 10 day long fiesta, too. It's called The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival and tens of thousands descend upon the city for the music, food, arts, cultire and fun. For most in my biz, it's a non-stop chain of gigs and related events, with little time for sleep and other niceties. But it's usually as much fun as it is work.

Sounds like you're disproportionately overloaded. What a drag that you don't get to have as much fun as the revelers. :-(