Wednesday, August 10, 2005

DIY Stompbox #2

Let me introduce you to the Rain Delay.

The Rain Delay is the build-it-yourself digital delay kit I got from BuildYourOwnClone.com a couple of weeks ago.

I was going to do a step by step thing about it here, but I got lazy.

On the whole it was a pretty easy build. There seemed to be be about a billion parts but I just went slow and it fell together.

My kit was missing the AC adaptor jack so I emailed BYOC to see if they could send it. Keith (the aforementioned "they") sent me the AC jack through the post and it came today with a little bonus.

This printed circuit board for an Ibanez TS808 Tubescreamer clone was also in the envelope! The TS808 is almost the Holy Grail of all pedals. If you've listened to music recorded in the last 20 years, there's a 97.3% chance that you've heard this box. If you do a search for a TS808 on ebay you'll see that they go for a big chunk of change.

So after a little work and less than $10 of electronic parts I get to have one of these.

Not a bad return for an email about a missing part.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Ok, now that you've built a dozen different sound boxes, are you going to let us hear you play your guitar with them?

pi22seven said...

That's a small thorn in my side.

I've been trying to get a guy from the last band I was in to be a prt of this new one, but he's been dragging his feet. He's a cool guy, good guitar player and a brilliant lyricist and I really like the stuff that we write together.

I think part of his prob is that we're a little older now and he may be hung up on the age thing and may feel a little foolish.

My attitude is ACT NOW!

So yeah, I need to actually use the stuff I'm building.

I'm working on it...