Sunday, September 18, 2005

Cursed with house demons...

filed under:

One of the things about living in a 50 year old house is that if something isn't broken, leaking or on fire it will be soon.

Today was the day that I set upon myself the task of fixing the leaking hot faucet in the master shower.

The whole house was outfitted with old American Standard fixtures that seem to be to old to find parts for, so fixing them is a royal pain in the ass. The parts I find are almost the right size, but not quite.

Luckily today all I needed was a washer which are pretty standard so I was able to find the right fit. But looking at replacement valves and such I realized that within 5 years or so I might as well remodel both of our baths because parts for 50 year old fixtures are nowhere to be found.

And it looks like I'm going to be doing some serious electrical modifications to our Hotpoint oven as well. Same problem as the plumbing, too old to find parts. The baking element blew out in its own small electrical fire and there is not one place in the continental U.S. to find the replacement element.

So instead of getting a new oven which would entail some serious kitchen remodeling because of the dimensions of the oven, I'm going to change out the element sockets and refurb the thing with new G.E. parts. So hopefully I'll be able to keep the old the thing and retain the neo-retro look of our kitchen.

No comments: