Tuesday, January 04, 2005

The Rat is here!

In my never ending quest for "tone" I've been hunting for a clean or treble boost for my guitar rig. The reasoning was that I wanted to boost my gain going in to my amp without adding distortion, just to push the amp a little harder to get it to break up in a sweet way.

Well, this guy at work is a great guitar player and a gear head. I've been chatting him up for a month now about the boutique (expensive handmade) effect pedals that I'd been looking at. He's just been nodding his head taking it all in.

But today he brought in a vintage Rat distortion pedal from about 1982 for me to try out.



If you've listened to rock music from 1980 on you've heard this box.

The catch is that if I like it, I have to keep it. For free. I was all "gaah", but he said it was cool because he has two.

These things usually end up going for about $100 on ebay if they're in good condition so if it sounds good in my setup it'll be good score!

Then I'll have to buy him like a thousand lunches or something.

2 comments:

Wubert said...

That Rat pedal brings back memories. Back in the day, if you had a Rat and a Dimarzio Super Distortion you were totally in business. Your Rat looks totally old-school too, before they stuck the little LED in the 'A' of "RAT". Kewl. Well, time for a nap.

pi22seven said...

It IS an old school Rat! No LED and pretty worn but great tone.

I'm still trying to figure out where in my chain to put it. So far I've had it at the end and it sounds pretty good going through my Fender Blues Deluxe on the clean channel. But when I just try to use it as a boost on the amp's dirty side it sounds like ass; too much mid range honk.

Still, I think I'm gonna keep it and use it as my main sound since it's pretty beefy.