Wednesday, September 29, 2004

2 weeks is a long time.

Today at work we found out that there would be layoffs. This is the second round of layoffs for us since 9/11.

250 people will lose thier jobs corporate wide. About half will be at one property with the other half spread out between 12 or so other sites.

My station is running pretty lean as is and our GM said there would be 3 to 6 people gone. He said that it would happen within the next 2 weeks.

That's a long wait.

While I'm a little nervous, I'm not worried. I'm lucky that I went into the "creative" side of TV as a writer/producer/director/editor. Computers can't create, yet. But they can do other jobs.

We were going to lose staff next year anyway due to automation in our operations department and management will prolly try to wrap those positions into our cuts now to try to lessen the blow to our staff.

There's a "dead man walking" vibe in the building now. When you chat with someone you're wondering if they're gonna get cut.

Even though I've gone through the waiting before, it's not something you get used to.

It sucks.

No comments: