Thursday, September 16, 2004

Johnny Ramone dies at 55

I saw The Ramones for the first time when I was 14. It was my first concert and about 7 of us crammed into a car with somebody's mom driving and headed to Austin. Two of us didn't even have tickets.

We got to the Armadillo and there were about 10 people in line. Then we heard music. It was The Ramones doing their soundcheck. After about 10 minutes it was quiet.

Then one of our guys said "Hey, it's them" and bolted.

ramones
Originally uploaded by pi22seven.

The other people in line said bullshit. But we followed and there they were.

They talked to us for about 15 minutes. Thanked us for driving from San Antonio to see them. When they found out 2 of us didn't have tickets for the show they had the their manager leave them tickets at the box office.

What strikes me now though is how normal they were. They weren't stuck up. They didn't act like rock stars. They were regular guys.

They split and we got back in the line that had grown to about 40 people. The guys at the front jokingly asked us how the Ramones were. We said they were doing great and that they got a couple of us in the show for free. They laughed then figured out we weren't joking.

The show was great. We wormed our way to the front and we had our arms on the stage right in front of Johnny. I couldn't tell what they played, just that the songs were loud and separated by Dee Dee's "1,2,3,4!"s.

But I had a hero after that night. And he played a Mosrite.

3 comments:

LisaPal said...

Memory Lane.
I'm going to have to dig around for my pictures now! I saw the Ramones with the Runaways (the all girl band) in something like 1977 at Tulane's McAlister auditorium. My pictures were probably taken with a crappy 110 or a 126 camera, but it will be fun to hunt them down.

pi22seven said...

Make sure you share when you find them!

LisaPal said...

I will.

And by the way, that's a great story!