Saturday, July 30, 2005

A package from El Salvador

It's no secret, I've wanted a Treble Booster stompbox for long time now. Today I've finnaly started building one.

After doing a little research, I found a couple of places on the web that had free schematics of the stompbox cicuit in question, but only one place sold a working PCB (printed circuit board). Tonepad.com was a life saver for someone like me; good enough soldering skills to make a circuit, but not quite smart enough to cipher a schematic without a modicum of book learning. Tonepad had the layout schematic and the PCB so ordering was a no brainer. When the package containing my PCB came in the mail I noticed the return address was in El Salvador. I've never had any mail from Central America so I was as excited as a little kid.

I started soldering today after a trip to Radio Shack for resistors, caps and LEDs. I wanted to go to this oldtimer electronics parts store but they were closed because they're moving their store closer to my house. They open on Monday so I'll get the rest of the parts and a metal enclosure then.

About the only thing I can't locally are the vintage knobs I like. But Small Bear Electronics is turning out to be the online store for parts.

I should have the circuit done by Tuesday, but I'll be working on the enclosure for the rest of the week.

That'll leave me open for next weekend to build the digital delay kit I ordered.

2 comments:

LisaPal said...

I think my mom has a box full of electrinic thiings like transistors, resistors, capacitors and maybe other kinds of ___ors that my electro-tinkering daddy left behind. I'll have to check and if she didn't toss them all out, I'll send them to you if you want them. (I'll check and let you know what we have,,,)

pi22seven said...

Okay, you really are baddass! Just email when you find out.

I'll owe you bigtime!