Saturday, October 30, 2004

bad robot or lowtone?

I've been kinda sorta working on music for a band I want to start. I want it to be original material. So I need to find the right people for the band. You can't just invite someone that can play bass, they have to be able to write lines.

I was going to invite Bob from the "Beer Incident" to play drums, but I'm not sure that would be a good idea now. Besides, what I need most are lyrics. I've written lyrics before but I take waaaaaay to long to finish the words. I work best with someone who can bounce lyric ideas around the room.

Anyway, THIS is something I was able to construct on Garageband. The drums and the bass lines are from the free samples from Apple, but they worked well for what I wanted. The guitar was recorded straight from the guitar to the computer without an amp. It's still missing vocals (that whole not having words thing) and a guitar solo over the mechanical guitar riff thing but it's a start.

I'm playing around with the name "bad robot" for now, but it may end up being "lowtone".

WARNING! DOWNLOAD IS DIAL-UP HOSTILE!

2 comments:

LisaPal said...

Very cool!

But let me get this straight... the guitar was direct, so were you using Apple's guitar effects? If you say yes, I'm heading straight downstairs to plug in my electric and play around with that.

The norm for me is to record using Digital Performer4 with my electric guitar routed through a Tascam interface with no amp. I have a hand-me-down multi-effects unit that takes too much work to get decent sounding distortion, so I only use it occasionally for the envelope filter, which I like. (To get more than that, I'd actually have to learn how to tweak the gazillion presets it has.) If you used Apple's effects, then I'm highly encouraged.

Apple has some good-sounding software synths in Garage Band, (like the upright acoustic bass), but I'm frustrated by the inability to route them into other programs, like DP4. Maybe that's cheating, somehow, and I'm supposed to buy standalone versions or something. My way around it is to record them one track at a time, save the tracks as AIFF files, then import them into DP one at a time. Pain in the ass. Maybe there's a way aroud that.

I should be posting this in the Apple Addict forums, huh?

BTW, did you ever break down and get the Gretsch?

pi22seven said...

Yup, the guitar was plugged straight into the iMac. No amp. Just Apple's EFX. The guitar EFX sound ok, but you don't feel right when you're playing.

I never did get the Gretsch, I got our car fixed instead. Which I guess is good.