Wednesday, October 27, 2004

High tension...

I share my office with another producer named... let's call him Bob. A guy I've kind of mentored, saw that he was smart and helped him through the ranks to get where he is now.

Where we both are is an office that measures roughly 14 x 14, give or take. In it are 2 desks, 4 chairs, 1 filing cabinet and a shelf with a TV on top. Space is tight but not yet precious.

Bob and I share this space when we don't have edit sessions, shoots or client meetings. And all has been well. Lately it seems that we've been getting on each others nerves though. Just little things, but they add up.

Today though, he crossed a line. He gave something that was mine away. The something in question was a bottle of Rolling Rock Beer that I had placed inside a bobble-head farm that we have on the TV shelf. The beer was given to me by a producer who was laid off just this Monday, a token of sorts.

This afternoon I looked at the bobble-heads and the beer was gone.

So I asked Bob "Hey where's my beer?"

He said "I dunno..." but the tone in his voice told me that he knew. I pressed further and he denied more. The sad part is that he could tell that I knew that he was lying, but he kept lying.

Finally he confessed that he gave it to another coworker, then tried to turn it around that I was at fault for even having the beer in the office. I pointed out that a member of our management team had a bottle from the same sixxer on his desk so it wasn't a big deal.

Then he said he didn't know who the beer belonged too and he thought he was being set up. "Set up for what?" I asked and he said he didn't know. How could he not know it was mine? It's a 2 person office, if it isn't his then it belongs to me.

I was pissed. Not because he gave away a beer, but because he lied to me. And so very badly at that.

I want to say something tomorrow, but I'm dreading it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give away his chair then when he asks tell him you gave it away because he's a jerk about beer.

pi22seven said...

I hadn't even thought of the incident from the beer angle. How can you hate beer? It's like hating puppy dogs or colors!!!

I think Bob needs to get to therapy soon.