Sunday, May 15, 2005

DIY EFX!

I've been toying with the idea of building my own guitar effects.

One reason is that I want to build something. It's not quite creation but it's close enough. The other reason is that it costs about half the cost of new to build your own.

There's only one problem.

I don't know jack about electronics. Well, more like I don't know enough. I can change light fixtures and wire an outlet but that's about it. I can't even read a schematic.

So I've been hanging out in DIY guitar effects forums trying to gleen what I can. and what I've learned is that I'm more in love with having these boutique effects than I am with building them. I don't really have the need to build these things.

Some of these non-pros are very talented, building pedals that are sometimes better than the originals.

Original:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

DIY:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The DIY box is more rugged and by all reports better sounding.

So where does all this leave me?

A guy in St. Louis is willing to build a circuit and sell it to me for only $30 without a box.

Then I can put it in my own box and name it whatever I want.

No comments: