Monday, May 02, 2005

Is it Friday yet?

The worst part about my job is the writing.

I'm not a writer. What I mean by that is that I can stitch together ideas, but it's very hard for me. When I think of "writers" I picture somebody who lives in the word. Someone who has ideas flowing, someone who can't not write.

I am not one of those gifted people.

I struggle. I fight for every mispelled word to escape until revision upon revision I am left with something I can almost live with.

You'd think that with a job that so depends on my ability to twist words into a message that sooner or later I'd have gotten better, that I'd made some improvement.

Sadly, no.

In fact I think I have lost any talent I may have at one time had.

In fact, I've been working on a 30 second commercial script all morning and all I have to show for it is a loose collection of lame sloganesque phrases that don't work together at all.

The sad thing is that the people I write for are depending on me. They come to us hoping we can boost their business so they can make more money. So they can buy make their house payments. So they can buy a new car. So they can put food on the table and clothes on their backs.

No pressure.

I know in the end that I'll give them a good commercial, but could it have been better?

No comments: