Saturday, July 03, 2004

Used CDs ROCK!!!!!!

Tonight after visiting Mary's G-Ma in the hospital, we ate at Chipotle.

It's good for a one trick pony. The only thing of substance on the menu are burritos. It's what they do. You choose what you want on it and they charge you a lot. The cool thing about this place though is the customer service. Josh ordered a burrito with Barbacoa (think of it as roasted meat). They had just run out and Josh had to wait all of 2 minutes and they gave us his burrito and drink for free. That saved us almost $7.00. WOW!

Things took us a little longer than planned at the hospital, we'd planned to take Josh by Sam Ash Music to take another hands on look at the Fender Strat he wants. It costs about $350. He's got about $140 bucks and has been doing extra work around the house to save up for it, but it's taking longer than he thought it would. His birthday's on the 12th so he'll prolly get close then.

After dinner there was no way we'd get to Sam Ash before it would close, so we went to a CD Exchange that was close by.

Josh has been looking for some old Bob Dylan, Cream and (barf) Yes. He has pretty sophisticated musical tastes for a soon to be 13 year old. He likes new stuff like Q.O.T.S.A., Eagles of Death Metal and White Stripes but knows crap when he hears it.

We went through the aisles trying to pick out the good from the bad. You never know what you'll find when you go to a used CD store. Surprise, uhm, surprise you.

I found a couple of things that caught me off guard and one CD I thought I'd never see.

The first thing I found was Michael Penn's first album. We used to love listening to "No Myth" and fell in love with the entire disc when it came out. A good find. Then Mary found "History repeats" from Split Enz; a very good best of.

Then the thing that made me blink a couple of times found my hands. I was looking at a CD of "Lament" by Ultravox. I was an Ultravox fan. I had all Ultravox albums with Midge Ure. While others were singing "What I like about you", I was listening to "A Man of Two Worlds". The music was breathtaking, the words had weight; and doomed to never appeal to Madonna-bes. I was in love. Nothing much ever amounted to Ultravox. Though Midge Ure was more than co-writer of "Do they know it's Christmas" with Sir Bob. Without Midge there would have been no Live Aid.

Josh came over with "The Best of Cream" and we escaped paying only $35.


USED CDS ROCK!!!!!!

No comments: