Monday, August 02, 2004

Arrangements

Gigi's funeral is set for Thursday with the Rosary the night before.

I don't do funerals well. I hate them. I never know what to say, because I know that there's nothing that can be said to make things better. The only thing that eases the feelings is time.

But this time I won't be trying to comfort friends or coworkers, this time it's family. Mary is doing as well as can be expected now, but Thursday will be a different story. Josh seems to be okay, but I feel like he's holding things in. I wish I could help him, but I don't thinks he's ready for me to help yet.

Just by chance I saw a cartoon that I'd clipped years ago. It was brown with age and half covered by photos and memos I'd posted on my cork board behind my desk. It's a single frame of two men in the showroom of a funeral home. The guy on the right is angry at the guy on the left, who is wearing a party hat. The showroom is decorated for party, streamers over the caskets and all. A banner above their heads says "We put the "Fun" in Funeral!". I decided when I clipped the comic that that's exactly what I wanted. I want a party funeral. When I go I want people to push my casket around a bunch of bars and have a good time.

So do I need to have that put in my will?

No comments: