Wednesday, August 18, 2004

PiTunes-Big Star

PiTunes! Get it! HAR™!

Ahem.

Anyway, PiTunes will live on the right (or on the left if the site changes) and will have iTunes links to some band or artist or something that I think you should hear. Hopefully you'll hear something worth making a part of your music collection.

The first band to be in PiTunes is Big Star.

I first heard about Big Star years back in an interview Paul Westerberg. The Replacements had a song titled "Alex Chilton" about the singer from The Box Tops, you know "Give me a ticket for an aeroplane..." that was bittersweet. In the interview he said that Chilton was also in a band called Big Star. I heard the song a couple of times and forgot about the whole affair.

Flash to few months back and I saw Big Star on the front of the iTunes Music store. I bought "#1 Record - Radio City" and fell in love. It was fucking great. I was stunned. Listening to the harmonies of the vocals and the riffs on the guitars it's hard not to wonder why the hell this band never made it big. It's kind of sad.

Fans of Fox's "That 70s Show" will recognize "In The Street", covered by Cheap Trick for the show's title open.

No comments: